Live and Invest Overseas

Receiving Social Security Payments Overseas

May 7, 2009

"Would you please write a supplement showing the requirements of the U.S. government for Social Security payments while living in the countries you recommend? I believe that the Social Security Administration requires that you report if you are away from the United States for more than 30 days at a time."

-- Sukumar S., United States

No, dear reader, there is no requirement to report your whereabouts or any absences from U.S. soil to the Social Security Administration (assuming you are a U.S. citizen), and you can receive your Social Security payments anywhere in the world.

The rules for having your Social Security paid outside the States are here:

If you're not a U.S. citizen, some restrictions may apply. These are detailed on the web page I reference above.

The easiest thing is to have your monthly Social Security payment direct deposited into your U.S. bank account. Then you can withdraw cash from that account using your ATM card anywhere in the world.

In fact, you can even have your Social Security payment direct deposited into your overseas bank account in many countries, including most of Europe and Panama.

Continue Reading:



Home    SUBSCRIBE  ♦  Whitelist Us  ♦  Privacy
Media  ♦  Search  ♦ 
 Site Map     Advertise