Retire-Overseas Trial Run

“Kathleen, the situation I need addressed has to do with my home in California. It is an upscale home that is not going to be easy to sell at a reasonable price in the current market. Renting could be an option.

“I would like to consider a trial move to Panama, but what to do with my house and its contents? That is what is holding me back. Suggestions?”

— Charles R., United States

Yes, renting is probably your best option. Rent the house furnished, and you don’t have to figure out what to do with all your stuff.

You could also try to find a house-sitter who’d at least cover the costs of utilities, for example, while you’re away.

Try to find a renter or a house-sitter for six months. That’d give you enough time to try Panama on for size.

Good luck.