Americans Receiving Social Security As Residents Or Citizens Overseas

“Kathleen, your articles are wonderful, very informative and about so many interesting places. Your presentation style is superior to 99% of the articles I have read in my 82 years of traveling abroad. Thank you for the spark you have brought to my life. Keep up the good work.”

–Robert E., United States


“Kathleen, let me start by saying the service provided by LIOS is phenomenal. Informative, eye-opening, thought-provoking, and exciting. The hardest choice is deciding which place(s) might be the best for my husband and me to enjoy in retirement.

“My question, actually it is from my husband, relates to Social Security. If we were to apply and receive citizenship in another county, how does this affect our Social Security from the U.S. government? Do we forfeit this money or do we have to spend equal amounts of time in the United States and another country? I do apologize if this question has been asked previously and has had a reply.

“The more I read, I think the Dominican Republic is the place for us. We still have 10+ years to go, but I am a firm believer in preparation.

“Thank you again for this well needed publication. I am a big fan.”

–Lisa L., United States

Remember that citizenship isn’t the same as residency. You can gain legal residency in another country without becoming a citizen of that country. Additionally, if you do obtain citizenship in another country, you don’t necessarily have to give up your U.S. citizenship. You can be a dual citizen.

To answer your question specifically, no. You do not forfeit your Social Security income by becoming a resident or a citizen of another country, and you are not required to be physically present in the United States for any amount of time each year to continuing receiving it.

Continue Reading: Own Your Own Caribbean Getaway For US$60,000

Discover The World's Most Affordable And Exotic Places