Canadians Retiring Overseas

“I found your very informative website today and have a couple of questions before I subscribe to your e-letter. First, does the same information apply to Canadians as well as U.S. citizens?

“Also, do you know a publication like yours that’s written specifically for Canadians?

“We have been thinking about doing this for a while but just need the right info before we take the plunge.”

— Jane O., Canada

Yes, nearly all the information we publish is as appropriate for a Canadian reader as it is for an American one. The only difference has to do with taxes…and this only on the home (Canadian) side. The tax situation in the new country of residence would be the same for either a Canadian or an American.

I don’t know of any publication that covers this beat specifically for Canadians. Again, though, you should feel comfortable that most everything we publish is relevant and appropriate for you, as well as all our American readers.

Residency Issues For The American And Canadian Overseas

“Kathleen, I have an odd question for you. I’m a Canadian by birth and a naturalized U.S. citizen resident in the United States for 30 years.

“If I relocate overseas, which citizenship must I use and why?

“P.S. The Panama conference package was great!”

— T.J., United States

Up to you. You could use either citizenship. The issue to consider when deciding which nationality to move with would be residency and visa requirements and restrictions. There isn’t much difference between Canadian and U.S. citizenship when it comes to applying for foreign residency in most countries, but you could ask the immigration attorney you work with in whichever country(ies) you’re considering if there’s any advantage to one nationality over the other in that jurisdiction.

Also, be sure to use the same visa to come and go from the country as you use for your residency visa. Immigration will want to see the stamps.

Make a Profit And Have The Adventure Of A Lifetime