FBAR And Cash Reporting Requirements For Americans Overseas


“Kathleen, just getting into the info and have one question (for now). I understand the U.S. government will only allow you to have US$10,000 in an overseas account. If you qualify under the Belize QRP program does that still apply or can you have unlimited funds there?”

–Mike G., United States

The US$10,000 threshold is not a limit on the amount of money you can have overseas; it’s a reporting threshold. You can transfer any amount of money you want wherever in the world you want. Americans, though, need to report overseas deposits to the U.S. government when the sum of all those deposits—in all banks—exceeds US$10,000 in any year.

To report overseas accounts, you use FinCEN Form 114, commonly called the FBAR.

Continue Reading: Living In Europe On A Budget Just Got Easier



Discover The World's Most Affordable And Exotic Places

About Author

Live And Invest Overseas

Live and Invest Overseas is the world's savviest source for top opportunities to live better, retire in style, invest for profit, do business, and own real estate overseas. Established in 2008, the Live and Invest Overseas' editors and correspondents have more experience researching and reporting on top opportunities for living well, investing for profit, doing business, and owning real estate around the world than anyone else you'll find.