IRS Filing Requirements For U.S. Versus Non-U.S. Corporations

“Kathleen, I would very much like to check out Panama but you never go there except during tax season. I am an enrolled agent doing taxes so, of course, I can’t go.

“Next year, could you make your Panama conference other than the first three-and-a-half months of the year?”

–Marilyn R., United States


You might consider our Retire Overseas Conference, which is taking place this year in Orlando in September. This event showcases all 20 of the world’s top live, retire, and invest overseas destinations, including Panama. Our key Panama experts and resources will be represented, along with speakers from 19 other countries, too.


“Lief, first I would to thank you for your newsletter. Great job, always good information.

“I’m wondering if you could confirm the following for me:

“Can you confirm what IRS form a U.S. client company may require when I send an invoice for consulting fees for my IBC? Customers are in the United States, and I do know that U.S. businesses have to report on where money is sent.”

–Bernard R.., United States

If you’re talking about a non-U.S. corporation owned by a non-U.S. person providing services to a U.S. corporation, you’re required to file Form W-8BEN-E. Under these circumstances, the payments made to your corporation are likely subject to 30% withholding.

If the offshore corporation is owned by a U.S. person, then you’d complete a W-9.

Continue Reading: Property Investments In Panama, Ecuador, And The Dominican Republic