Residency Through Marriage In Nicaragua

“Kathleen, for anyone considering residency in Nicaragua, I would strongly recommend not basing it upon a marital relationship. If the marriage ends in divorce and there are no children, they give you 15 days to depart the country. I learned this the hard way but wanted to pass on the information.

“When I went to renew my residency, I was upfront about the divorce. For six months, they kept delaying any decision, then, when it came, it was devastating. They might call it permanent residency, but that is far from being the truth. Retiree residents would not face this difficulty, but I suspect there are a number of folks who would consider residency based on marriage who should know about this.

“For me, it was a very sad turn of events.”

–Marc L., United States


“Kathleen, I read your letters and find them great. I come from New Zealand and may have a need for your husband’s service, The Simon Letter, but I have a question. As far as you are concerned, am I better off, asset protection-wise , referencing your husband’s service or trying to find a New Zealand service that does the same thing but that is focused for New Zealanders?”

–Richard S., New Zealand

Working with an offshore attorney from New Zealand would probably be easier for you, but any asset protection advisor anywhere should be able to set up the structures you might want.

That said, most of the recommendations Lief’s Simon Letter would make sense for anyone, and, certainly, I’d say the service should be useful and educational for you. The only information not useful for a New Zealander would be related to U.S. taxation.

Discover The World's Most Affordable And Exotic Places