Denis Foynes – The visa application website GlobalVisas.com has compiled a list of the strangest questions asked by visa applicants.
“We see all sorts of unusual things during the visa application process but, generally speaking, that goes with the territory,” explained GlobalVisas.com employee Liam Parry.
“When somebody is moving from one culture to live in another there’s bound to be an element of misunderstanding about laws and customs” he added.
Here are the top ten strangest questions asked by visa applicants
1. ‘I’ve heard that cocaine is legal in Columbia; is this true?’
2. ‘Do you know if it’s easier to find a wife in England? I’m struggling here.’
3. ‘Is everybody friends with the Queen?’
4. ‘If I live in America, will I be a movie star?’
5. ‘I want to be closer to Elton John. He doesn’t come to Togo. Do you see him much in Britain?’
6. ‘Is it legal to marry your car in the United States?’
7. ‘I’ve committed a serious crime, but I haven’t been caught or convicted. Will I be immune once I move?’
8. ‘Is it illegal if I don’t speak Dutch?’
9. ‘Somebody told me that Australia was founded by criminals. Do I have to have a criminal record to move there?’
10. ‘I don’t have a passport. If I sail to Portugal but don’t fly will they let me live there?’