More and more Americans have chosen to go under the knife in recent years. Last year Americans spent almost $10 billion on cosmetic procedures. However, they are certainly not alone.
Cosmetic surgery is now a truly worldwide phenomenon. These are the ten countries that spend the most of plastic surgery per capita.
10. Mexico: Plastic surgery in Mexico is a whole lot cheaper than plastic surgery in the United States. For example, a face lift is known to cost between $5,000 and $6,000 in the United States. In Mexico, a face lift costs between $2,000 and $2,500.
9. France: There is a strong desire to age gracefully in France in a similar fashion to Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. French women don’t want to look like young girls, they just want to look great for their age. Therefore, subtle anti-aging procedures are popular.
8. Japan: “Japanese people also like to have smaller faces,” a Japanese doctor explains. “So we often combine face-lifts with liposuction under the chin, to make the jaw line between the face and the neck more striking.”
7. Taiwan: Wrinkle reducers like Botox were the most popular among all surgeries performed. Cosmetic surgery is now very fashionable in Taiwan.
6. United States: Liposuction is the most in-demand procedure, with breast augmentations coming in at a close second.
5. Colombia: Liposuction is the most popular procedure, both among surgical and non-surgical procedures, with nearly 90,000 reportedly performed in 2010.
4. Brazil: “Culturally speaking, Brazilians have no problem with plastic surgery,” said Roth. “If anything, it’s seen as a status symbol to have had it.” The governments of Brazil even have a number of tax deductions to support plastic surgery.
3. Italy: Botulinum Toxin Type A (Botox Dysport) is the most popular procedure performed overall and liposuction was the most common invasive procedure with more than 69,000 reported a year.
2. Greece: With its terrible economic situation, Greece is a surprise second. Breast augmentations took the top spot among invasive surgeries in Greece.
1. South Korea: The plastic survey industry has stormed Asia in recent years to the point that today, one in five women from Seoul have undergone some sort of plastic surgery. According to the report, more than 360,000 total procedures were performed in 2010, with the most common procedures being liposuction, nose jobs and blepharoplasty, or double eyelid surgery. More than 44,000 double eyelid surgeries were performed in 2010 with many customers are pursuing more Western-looking eyes.