In today’s podcast, Kathleen and Lief discuss part one of our list of the 21 destinations we’ll be covering during our first-ever Retire Overseas Virtual Conference.
Kathleen and Lief will be discussing the best city and mountain living options in this quick tour of our 21 recommended countries. The countries covered are:
- Belize. There are no city offers in Belize. However, there is an excellent mountain option: San Ignacio. This is a rural mountain, perfect if you want a simple and self-sufficient lifestyle.
- Portugal. There are small mountain towns where you would have to learn Portuguese. However, on the city side, you have Lisbon and Porto which are great options.
- Argentina. Buenos Aires is a great city to be in. For mountain living, you could head to Mendoza.
- The Dominican Republic. You could live near the beach and mountains at the same time. In regards to cities, Santo Domingo is a great option.
- Chile. The city option is Santiago. However, the city has air pollution problems. For better air quality you have to head to the southern regions.
- Colombia. Bogota and Medellin are mountainous city options. However, you need to consider the altitude.
- Ecuador. Quito and Cuenca are good options. However, just like in Colombia, you need to pay attention to the altitude.
- France. For mountain options, you can find The Alps and The Pyrenees. For city options, there is Paris, The City of Light.
- Slovenia. There is a small city called Ljubljana which provides a good option for expats. An interesting mountain destination is Bled, where there is a lake and skiing activities.
- Malta. Valletta is a great option. This city is full of history and personality.
- Malaysia. On the city side, you’ll find Kuala Lumpur. Some pros of this city are that there are many expats here, it’s extremely affordable, and it’s considered a foodie destination.
- Italy. For mountain options, you can head to The Alps or Abruzzo.
- Brazil. Rio de Janeiro is an option but you do need to consider safety.
- Mexico. There are many mountain options but San Miguel De Allende is a great option.
- Thailand. In the mountains, Chiang Mai is the main destination. City wise, you’ll find Bangkok.
- Indonesia. There are no cities or mountain options here. The beach areas are the place to be in.
- Montenegro. There are many mountain options here. Montenegro is a small country, perfect for those who want to live a quiet life.
- Uruguay. Uruguay is mostly flat. The main city is Montevideo, a quiet city.
- Vietnam. You have lots of city and mountain options. For the city perspective, you’ll find Da Nang and Hoi An.
- Spain. You also have lots of options for both city and mountain. Barcelona and Valencia are great city options. Madrid is in the mountains but it can get really hot in the Summer.
- Panama. Panama City is a great option, however is not cheap anymore. For mountain options, you’ll find Boquete, Santa Fe, and El Valle.
Have you got a question? Submit it here.
Keep in mind that your comment or question could be answered in a future podcast. Also, your first name, last name initial, and country of residence as submitted will be mentioned in the podcast.
Subscribe to our Newsletter here.
Overseas Living Clubhouse
Join our Overseas Living Clubhouse here.