1. Montenegro has one of Europe’s only rainforests, the Biogradska Gora.
2. Bojana is the only river in the world that flows both downstream and upstream.
3. Montenegro became independent from Serbia on June 3, 2006.
4. Montenegro is a founder member of the Red Cross.
5. Montenegro has the deepest canyon in Europe, the Tara Canyon.
6. Boka Bay is the southernmost fjord in the world.
7.Montenegro is home to the world’s oldest olive tree. The tree is over 2000 years old.
8. The name Montenegro is of Italian origin. ‘Monte’ means mountain and ‘negro’ means black. Literally black mountain.
9. Contrary to popular belief, the 2006 James Bond film Casino Royale was not filmed in Montenegro. Although parts of the film are set in Montenegro, the filming was done in the Czech Republic and Italy.
10. Montenegro is renowned for its excellent cuisine. Influences come from Greek, Italian, and Turkish cuisine.
11. Montenegro celebrates its national holiday on July 13th. The celebration called Statehood Day.
12. Montenegro was the first country in the world to have its own national printing house.
13. The country has a literacy rate of nearly 99%.
14. Montenegro does not mint, or print and euro coins or notes. They are all imported from elsewhere in the Eurozone.
15. The flag of Montenegro features a golden lion.
16. Around 60% of Montenegro is 1000 meters above sea level or more.
17. The highest peak is Bobotov Kuk, 2,522 meters above sea level.
18. The monastery of Ostrog, is one of the most visited Christian shrines in the world. It was founded by Saint Basil in the 17th
19. Winters are very cold and snowy.
20. Summers are hot and dry. Perfect weather to take advantage of the many sandy beaches.
Download your FREE report on
The Best Places To Retire In 2023
New Year, New You, New Life Overseas