Accessing U.S. Internet Sites From Overseas


“Kathleen, in doing my due diligence for moving overseas I have come across some comments that indicate that, when you move to another country, in order to access a website back in the United States, you must buy a new IP address so that your computer will be recognized by U.S. sites. Just wanted to know if that is true or not?”

–Nanette W., United States

No, it’s not true. Living in another country, you don’t generally have to have a U.S. IP to access U.S. Internet sites. You’ll be able to access almost all sites anywhere in the world from anywhere in the world.

That said, some particular websites you may want to access do require you to have a U.S. IP address…such as your bank’s website for managing certain transactions and Netflix. For these particular things, you’ll need a proxy IP address or a virtual private network (VPN), which you can get from a service starting at less than US$10 a month. USA Proxy.

Continue reading: Buying Real Estate In Retirement




About Author

Live And Invest Overseas

Live and Invest Overseas is the world's savviest source for top opportunities to live better, retire in style, invest for profit, do business, and own real estate overseas. Established in 2008, the Live and Invest Overseas' editors and correspondents have more experience researching and reporting on top opportunities for living well, investing for profit, doing business, and owning real estate around the world than anyone else you'll find.